The Borough of Mifflinburg owns and operates a modern water treatment plant and distribution system. Water service is provided individually to Borough residents and through intermunicipal services agreement to three surrounding townships.
The Borough’s water system was established and constructed in 1898. The original system was all gravity flow from a groundwater source located several miles west of the Borough. In 1995 a water filtration plant was constructed and water meters were installed to monitor customer consumption. Currently four water sources are used to provide quality water supply. The Borough’s water system is permitted and closely monitored by the PA Department of Environmental Protection. Stringent testing and monitoring are part of the daily operations.